I was reading the book predictably irrational the other day and I noticed a little idea. It goes something like this imagine you had to put a deposit down for everything you didn’t want to do. Things like go to the dentist or exercise or even the stuff like scan those files that you have been putting off for months. You put the money in a jar and if you complete the activity by a specific date you get your money back. If you don’t your failure to act has just cost you in the short-term but aided in the long term the money you lose goes into long term untouchable savings. Will the short term desire not to lose out on money help me to do things I have been lax with? Well its time to put my money where my mouth is.
When I decide to do something I will set a completion date and a cost penalty on a card and will also post it here or at least that I have an outstanding challenge. The less I want to do the activity the more money the activity will be worth.
1. I will not remove money from the jar unless I have completed a challenge.
2. All challenges must have an expiration date on that date if i do not complete the challenge the money moves to the savings account.
3. I will not cheat if I do not meet the criteria as set down in the challenge I do not get the money.
4. I am allowed to use any reminders helpful hints and to do lists as I wish but I must get the thing done by the date specified. I am also allowed to attempt the challenge multiple times.
5. Rollovers For daily/ weekly challenges will be calculated every sunday night before 9pm (local time) I pull out any money I have earned back and then add to the amount to activate the challenge again.
6. Any challenge that requires an adjudication shall be referred to an impartial individual
7. I will award myself merit badges for successfully completing challenges.
1. On or before December 18th 2011 I will do 100 pushups within 5 minutes. penalty 50
2. On or before September 25th I will bring my mini computer in to be serviced. Penalty 10
3. On or before September 30th I will go and have my six month medical checkup. Penalty 50
4. On or before September 25th I will have finished writing 2 prek and one long NM. Penalty 20
5. On or before September 25th I will scan no less then four Jeremy cartoons. Penalty 10
1. I will update this website at least once a week (see rules for rollovers and weekly deadlines) Penalty 10
2. I will do my chinup and pull up exercise regime no fewer then 5 times a week Penalty 10
Ok so I am currently wagering 160 that I am not a lazy individual and that I can get these things done. The cost of failing with these tasks is staring at me from a desk right now suddenly it seems a little more real that I do these things.
Wish me luck I will keep you posted (or lose 10)
No related posts.